Beginners Mind


One of the wonderful things about the New Year is that I often have the feeling that I can begin anew. That old year is behind me and the new one is spread out like a large piece of cloth waiting to be embellished.

I don't know what the year will bring but my 'resolution'  is to be open to what comes with a beginner's mind. I'm trusting that this will open up new ways of working creatively and will allow some patience along the way.


Before the holidays I discovered how to freehand embroider on my sewing machine -- I don't know why it took me so long given the years of sewing I've done, but there you have it. Eureka! It is thrilling to be working with a new technique, but I also find that this is where beginner's mind needs to kick in. I immediately want mastery and it is quite humbling to see that I must continue to practice, practice, practice, in order to feel more comfortable (being uncomfortable) with a new way of working -- a new way of seeing.


It's following the silver thread of the unknown and enjoying the surprises that happen along the way.

When you think about it, it's all really a surprise anyway -- isn't it?




Comments

Popular Posts