Here In the Center



I began this piece several months ago and like many of my pieces it is in process. 

As is often the case before I start to work I got a 'directive' and it was something about circles, the colour green and the number seven. So I chose a beautiful greenish blue silk I used to use quite often and cut and laid out seven circles. I then thought it would be interesting to look up something about colour and number symbols and my first 'hit' on the web was something from the Cherokee tradition.

According to Cherokee beliefs, seven is one of the most sacred numbers. It is the height of purity and represents the seven sacred directions: north, south, east, west, above, below, and "here in the center" --the place of the sacred fire. Green is the colour that represents the seventh direction; the Self - the heart - to be dedicated to purity and honesty. And lastly, the circle is the symbol of Mother Earth, representing endless time, the living world in balance with no beginning and no end. 

I haven't worked on this piece in quite a while, but today I pulled it out again and re-read the information about the Cherokee symbols. I think perhaps I could use some re-connecting with my sacred self. The last few weeks have found me a bit low--chest cold that won't seem to let go, grey rainy Northern English weather, some life stresses that have felt overwhelming. So to be here in the center of the sacred fire feels like a really good place to be.

I'll end with the Serenity prayer, which I had forgotten is part of the Cherokee tradition:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

May you find some serenity in your day today.


Comments

Popular Posts