Passing Through the Harshest Danger



Today, for some reason, I'm feeling intimidated by my own process. This happens every once in a while. I create something I really like - it incorporates a newly discovered technique and it's interesting (to me, at least). I then see it the next day and start to ponder it's relevance and it's beauty. I fear that I am fooling myself. Artist? Ha! Talented? Get real. You think this is interesting? What do you know? I fear getting started again on something new. The dark abyss has reared it's ugly head.

So today I need a little encouragement. I've posted a photo I took in Norway last August to remind me how I am inspired by nature's own process.

I have also returned to one of my favorite poems by Rainer Maria Rilke, first introduced to me by my mother. I love it because it brings me back to the fact that the true powers we have exist beyond our own minds.

As once the winged energy of delight
carried you over childhood's dark abysses,
now beyond your own life build the great
arch of unimagined bridges.

Wonders happen if we can succeed
in passing through the harshest danger;
but only in a bright and purely granted
achievement can we realize the wonder.

To work with Things in the indescribable
relationship is not too hard for us;
the pattern grows more intricate and subtle,
and being swept along is not enough.

Take your practiced powers and stretch them out
until they span the chasm between two
contradictions...

For the god wants to know himself in you.

Comments