Trust


The difference, for me, in the process of drawing, as oppposed to creating textile pieces, is that I have NO IDEA what I'm going to draw before I begin. I don't plan anything out. I don't think "Hey, I'm gonna draw some kind of flower-type thing, man." I simply put pencil and pastel to paper. The pencil makes the first line --the first line takes me to the next and the next, and shapes take form and color emerges, and at a certain point I know I'm done with a drawing.


There's an enormous amount of Trust in this process, and I write Trust with a capitol T because I feel like it's the Big Trust. It's the Trust in one's self, in one's own process, in one's own heart opening up to what it needs to express.

That Trust happens in the first step, and then the next and the next. It certainly doesn't mean that we don't plan. Of course we do, but as John Steinbeck wrote in Of Mice and Men "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Perhaps if we paid a little more attention to what is actually happening as the plan emerges, other than simply sticking strictly to the plan itself, we'd fine we were less 'awry.'

Who knows where we would end up, eh?

Comments