Simple Gifts


We live in complex times. We want more than we have and we have more than we often need. Yet we think that having more and wanting more will make us, somehow, better.

If we simply slow down and look and listen to what is emerging from simplicity, we'll find that we have all we truly need, and that there is really nothing to want.

'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right.

Many of you may have noticed that the musical arrangement of this Shaker poem was played at President Obama's inauguration. I think it is the perfect sentiment to move into this new era.

May we all continue to find ourselves in the place just right.

Drawing: Adelaide Shalhope - pastel and charcoal, 19x24"

Comments

  1. I sing this song to my son every night before bed time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, thank you so much for sharing that! I love this song - I remember hearing it for the first time when I was about 7yrs old. and it's been in my heart ever since.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment