The Silver Thread


This pendant was my first, recent, attempt at working with silver -- a very different medium for me as a fabric artist. I've found that recently, however, I've been 'following the silver thread', which for me means subtly putting myself out of my own comfort zone to explore what I might not otherwise explore, and in turn, unearthing those parts of myself that have been waiting patiently to awaken.

As an artist, designer, and generally 'tuned in' person of a large amount of sensitivity, I often times get 'directives', subtle phrases or images that inspire a particular design idea or simply cause me to pause and think on a subtle, yet deeper level. "Follow the silver thread" was a phrase that literally popped in my mind randomly one morning as I was sitting quietly. Hmm, I thought, how interesting, and what does it mean?

Silver, apparently is symbolic of a number of things:

Purity
Clarity
Awareness
Focus
Single-ness of Purpose
Femininity
Persistence
Vision
Strength

It's a subtle strength because it can withstand all sorts of abuse, including weathering and even heat, yet it can still be molded into desired forms.

I like the message that we ourselves can be flexible enough to be molded into something better, but strong enough to keep our core integrity in tact.

So, I'm following the silver thread of my own life, and this blog is part of that thread. I hope that the postings and photos you see here will somehow inspire you to follow your own silver thread.

photo: Veselin Cuparic

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this, my dear. Your work is wonderful and I really enjoyed getting a peek into your process. Count me a faithful follower of all things Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding a way to share your beautiful work! It suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well".

    Mahatma Gandhi
    Indian political and spiritual leader (1869 - 1948)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, my friend - great blog and beatiful work. I look forward to following your postings -- have added your URL to my "blogs I follow" list on my blog.
    Love, you, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work looks so great and I am so, so pleased to find it here. I especially love the necklaces that you posted with post titles 'gift from the sea' the 'washed ashore' and 'someone else's trash'. Nature comes through in such interesting and beautiful ways.
    On a side note, I think you may appreciate my profile name, Listopad. In Czech it is the name of the month November but a somewhat dissected translation of the word is 'falling leaf' (list=leaf, pad=to fall).
    Enjoy the blog; I know I will.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts